Bacon Wrapped Apple Chicken Thighs
Updated: May 15, 2020
Here is a great recipe for Bacon wrapped Chicken Thighs cooked on a Pellet Grill (Green Mountain Grill or Traeger Grill)
1 Costco pack of Boneless skinless chicken thighs.
2 packs of Kirkland Bacon
1 bottle of Italian dressing
1 box of toothpicks
1 six pack of your favorite beer
1 cigar of choice
1. Unwrap all of the chicken, rinse and trim off any unwanted fat
2. Place chicken in a container and pour in one bottle of Italian salad dressing. Turn the thighs to make sure everything is coated, put a lid on it and place in the refrigerator.
( You can use zip lock bags for this step)
I usually do this the night before cooking, but even if you do this just a couple of hours before cooking it will work fine.
1. first slice up 2-3 apples - about 8 slices per apple.
2. Get toothpicks ready.
3. Open two packs of bacon.
4. Get a large baking sheet and cover with aluminum foil.
5. Take out container with chicken thighs. Place sliced apples, bacon, toothpicks and a large baking sheet all within in reach of each other.
6. Remove one chicken thigh, place an apple slice in the under side of the thigh and fold the thigh over the apple slice.
7. Wrap a piece of bacon over the chicken thigh ( with apple slice in the center ) and secure with a toothpick.
8. Place the prepared thigh on your baking sheet and repeat the process with the remaining pieces.
BONUS: I usually have some bacon slices and apple slices left over. As an added bonus I wrap the remaining apple slices with bacon and cook along with the thighs - you will thank me later.
Turn on your Green Mountain or Traeger grill to 360 degrees. I use the Green Mountain Daniel Boone model.
(In the winter I set my grill at 360 degrees. In the Summer I will set my grill at 300. As we all know, every grill varies on how it cooks, so use your best judgement.)
Once your grill has reached the desired temperature, place the chicken on the grill and close the lid. I check on the chicken ever 20 -30 minutes and rotate pieces that are getting over or under cooked. Cooking time will vary due to the temperature you use,
but generally this takes me about 1.5 to 2 hours. I go by the general rule that when the bacon is done, the chicken is done. If you have any question use a meat thermometer to make sure it is fully cooked.
During the cooking process, open beer and light cigar. This is optional of course, but I like this option.
Once your bacon wrapped thighs are done, serve with wild rice and asparagus, or vegetable of your choice.
Bonus: I hope you were able to cook some of the bacon wrapped apples - they make a killer appetizer!
#OUTDOORCOOKING #GRILLING #SMOKER #CHICKEN #BACON #APPLE #BILLMATTHEWSOUTDOORS